To enable pupils to make outstanding progress and remove any potential barriers to learning.
To ensure that our Art, Craft and Design Curriculum allows pupils to:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences;
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques;
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design;
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
What do we want to achieve?
The provision of a broad and balanced, relevant and ambitious arts curriculum which is inclusive for all pupils regardless of their individual needs and allows them to develop the appropriate knowledge, skills and understanding to inspire the creation of their own practical work and also build a solid foundation for those who may want to study it further.
Access for all pupils
- The curriculum builds on prior knowledge acquired in Primary school.
- Throughout the Curriculum, pupils will learn essential skills, knowledge and understanding structured and sequenced around a ‘learning journey’, to ensure they have a deep understanding of the creative and assessment processes in Art, Craft and Design.
- Pupils will develop their critical analysis skills by using scaffolding techniques such as the analysing art framework and subject specific writing frames to support SEND learners.
- Opportunities to develop SMSC and to improve Cultural Capital are embraced within schemes of learning.
- Pupils will learn about careers and future courses of study where appropriate.
- Opportunities to develop understanding of the locality are implemented.
- British Values are incorporated into day-to-day teaching and opportunities to explicitly teach these are fully exploited.
- Suitable courses are offered at Key Stage 4 and Key Stage 5 to enable pupils to succeed and progress into post 16 areas.
Art Learning Journey
|Half Terms||Year 7||Year 8||Year 9||Year 10||Year 11||Year 12||Year 13|
|1+2||Formal Elements||Impressionist landscapes||3D Fantasy Creatures||Architecture||Architecture/ Identity/ Natural Forms/||Portraiture through time / Textiles techniques and processes||Personal Investigation|
|3+4||Me, myself and I||Woven Portraits||Sweet Tooth||Architecture||Externally set assignment||Portraiture through time / Textiles techniques and processes||Externally set assignment|
|5+6||North East myths and legends||Still life through time||Word art||Architecture/ Identity/ Natural Forms/||Externally set assignment||Personal Investigation||Externally set assignment|