Careers Education, Information, Advice & Guidance
– Advice for Parents
As a parent you are one of the most influential people in your child’s life and in the best possible position to support your child as they consider their future, review their options and make choices. Here at school we have a good Careers Programme providing education, information, advice and guidance and our Careers Resources page signposts students to on-line information advice and guidance. That said, research shows that children look to their parents first when they want career advice. Whilst some young people have a very clear idea of where they see their pathway leading them, others may take a while to decide – you can help by:
Starting the conversation
- Focus on skills and behaviour your child will need, rather than specific jobs.
- Talk about goals and what your child finds fulfilling.
- Be open minded and encouraging.
- Talk about what careers experiences you child has had at school (lessons, visits, tutor time, citizenship and assemblies).
- Be patient as your child’s choices may change.
- Remember it’s your child’s decision on what direction they want to go.
We realise it can be challenging to know how to ask the right questions, you may want to start with their interests, skills, abilities, values, and knowledge of the world of work. There are may organisations who offer advice and support to parents at various stages of your child’s career pathway from choosing options in Year 8 or 9, to post 16 choices, university, apprenticeships and funding support.
Useful Links for Parents
- Parent Adviser – Website offering advice and guidance to help you to support your child with choosing a course, university, apprenticeship, gap year and finances
- Career Pilot Parent Zone can give lots of information about choices at 14, 16 and 18, along with FE, HE, Apprenticeships, Funding and Support
- UCAS – Undergraduate Advice for Parents & Guardians
- Target Careers – Paths to Professional Careers: A Parents Guide
- My World of Work help to explore over 600 job profiles
- Parental Guidance from the Careers Writers Association gives advice and information needed to support young people during their transition to adult working life
- Amazing Apprenticeships Parents Resource Pack
- The National Apprenticeship Service – Parents Guide to Apprenticeships